Tuesday 19 July 2011

Coach driver ‘did what he had to do’ at crash scene

Personal Injury Lincolnshire

THE bus driver who plucked an eight-month-old baby from the wreckage of a car crash near Crowland said he “did what he had to do”.

Retained firefighter Dave Ellis (21, pictured) took control of the scene after the head-on collision happened three cars ahead of his coach on the new A1073 bypass on Wednesday morning.

The accident left the baby boy and his parents seriously injured.

Tourmaster Coaches driver Mr Ellis, who was taking a group of schoolchildren to Skegness at the time, said: “I stopped the coach and used it to block off the road. I got one of the teaching assistants to come with me and call 999 while I was checking the scene so she could pass on what I could see.”

Mr Ellis (pictured right) said he checked on the driver of a Seat Leon before attending to the family in a Ford Focus.

“The rear door was crushed in but I managed to force it and get it open,” he said. “I got the baby out and checked him to make sure there were no obvious injuries. Then I handed him to a teacher and told them to keep the baby warm.”

Minutes later Mr Ellis was able to debrief police officers and his colleagues from Crowland Fire Station.

The father and baby were flown to Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham by the Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire Air Ambulance, while the mother was taken to Peterborough City Hospital.

Nurses have described them all as being in a serious but comfortable condition.

Police say they are from the Huntingdon area.

The 50-year-old Seat driver, who was from Sibsey, near Boston, suffered minor injuries and was treated in Peterborough.

Afterward the incident Mr Ellis continued his journey to Butlins with the group from the Jack Hunt School.

He said: “My training helped because I just go into fire service mode. You just do what you have to do."

source: spaldingtoday.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment