Monday 18 July 2011

Council apology for Lincoln mum-of-three over three-month care delay

A FRUSTRATED mum-of-three has won an apology over a three-month delay in assessing her care needs.

Cerebral palsy sufferer Catherine Lidbury, 30, developed sciatica earlier this year, which restricted her mobility even further.

Miss Lidbury, of Grainsby Close, which is off St Peter's Avenue, Lincoln, said she first approached Lincolnshire County Council for help in April.

She says she now relies on her partner helping to get her up, so she can move around and help with the children.

And Miss Lidbury recently broke her arm after falling – something she believes would not have happened if she had the proper equipment to help her.

"My mobility got worse after the diagnosis of sciatica and I need equipment to make my life and my family's life a bit easier," she said.

"I contacted the county council in April and was told they would come to do an assessment.

"But I didn't hear anything. I called back a few times and was told time and time again my case was urgent.

"Half the time I'm laid up and they kept telling me I'm an urgent case. When I finally got through to the right people, they told me they had lost my first referral.

"I'm not asking for a lot – just a few things to make my life a bit easier.

"But now the process has to start again, so it's more waiting."

Miss Lidbury is asking for handrails to assist her accessing her home, and a shower room which would be easier to use than her existing bathroom.

"I think the way I have been treated is appalling," she said.

"It makes you wonder if this has happened to someone who has greater needs than mine."

Peter Sadler, the county council's adult social care general manager, said in a statement the assessment had now begun.

"We have spoken with and written to Miss Lidbury to offer our sincere apologies," he said.

"The speed of service she received was not in keeping with the very high standards we strive to provide.

"While we are trying to track down the cause of the referral delay, additional systems are already being put in place as part of our restructure to prevent such a delay occurring again.

"Miss Lidbury has now confirmed she is happy with the assessment process, which has commenced."

source: thisislincolnshire.co.uk

Lincolnshire Claims

Cerebral Palsy Claims

No comments:

Post a Comment