Tuesday 3 May 2011

Scientist thanks doctors who saved his life after car crash

A 75-year-old man knocked down on a zebra crossing has thanked a doctor who he says he helped to save his life.


Keith Ackers was on his way home from the shops on April 16 when a van crashed into the back of a pick-up truck which had stopped to let him use the crossing on Liverpool Road, Longton. The pick-up truck then struck Dr Ackers.

He was thrown 12ft through the air and suffered multiple injuries, including a fractured shoulder and a bruised lung. Dr Ackers, who lives in Longton, said: “I stopped at the zebra crossing and the traffic stopped both ways.

“I acknowledged them and started to walk across. The next thing I knew was an almighty bang and I was thrown through the air.

“A white van had smashed into the back of a stationary white Ford Ranger pick-up truck, which then hit me with considerable force.”

Dr Ackers, a semi-retired experimental physicist, said a passing doctor helped him to stay conscious while emergency services arrived at the scene.

He said: “I’m convinced by doing that, she saved my life.”

Dr Ackers was kept in Royal Preston Hospital overnight for treatment.

He has thanked the paramedics, hospital staff and police who helped him after the accident.

source: lep.co.uk

Car Accident Claims